The Unsettling Solution: Do You See What I See?
Speaker: Jeff Geyer
Date: December 8, 2019
You know what you call a group of…Lying, cheating, greedy, covetous, lustful, tax-dodging, racist, jealous, judgmental, lonely, isolated, angry people who eat too much, spend too much, drink too much, medicate too much, worry too much, smoke too much, who gather together?
You call that…The Church.
This group of people get together because they believe that Jesus is the light of the world and they need more light.
The church isn’t a place where we all…agree on everything.
The church is a gathering of imperfect people with diverse views and experiences who…agree on two things:
- God sent Jesus to save us from our sin and from ourselves.
- Once a follower of Jesus, we’re now responsible to extend to each other what God freely extended to us.
Grace: God and sinner reconciled
Grace: It becomes amazing when it’s extended to others
Grace: God’s amazing grace to you is an invitation to be amazing
Q: “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?”
Matthew 7:3 (NLT)
A: It’s not a speck of sawdust.
A: I don’t have a log in my eye.
How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite!
Matthew 7:4-5 (NLT)
- Sinner; Fall Shorter; Did It On Purposer; Did It On Purposer Over and Over
- He could see you for exactly who you really are.
- But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. Romans 5:8 (NLT)
First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.
Matthew 7:5 (NLT)
- Logs get in the way of grace.
- "The more aware I am of what God has yet to do in me, the less aware I am of what He has yet to do in you." – Andy Stanley
God was more brokenhearted over our sin than He was put off by it.
- Jesus didn’t take sides. He came alongside.
- Jesus was full of grace and truth.
- What are you full of?
- What are we full of?
- Grace is the unsettling solution for just about everything.
- Let’s give someone what they don’t expect and what don’t necessarily deserve.